So today is the big day! For what feels like it’s been months of coding and learning, it is finally over (all within a month). My website is ready to go live!

Now for my personal blog (WhatJackHasMade), I have an Ubuntu server over at Digital Ocean, which makes setting up deployment a little more tricky than drag and dropping a folder over FTP.

However, fortunately, I was lucky enough to learn from my previous mistakes and not upload the whole WordPress project as a repository to GitHub. Instead, I only uploaded the theme folder, which means I can import it to my current live build and switch over with a couple of clicks!

After pulling down my repository to the server using a simple `command`, I then had my theme at the ready and made the switch. All was great, although I was missing something… my new content!

So I fired up my favourite plugin that I love to use when pushing any dev/staging content to a live website build Migrate DB Pro. Now this plugin, while not cheap, has saved me a tonne of time over the past few months.

I easily loaded up my normal migration profile, but instead of setting the push of my local content to compare and then upload, I ran it to remove all media found before and upload all the media I had from my local development. The reasoning behind removing the old content was to ensure that all media was compressed using the Tiny PNG plugin that I had installed on my local build.

That’s all folks!

So now my website is live, and it must be live because you are reading this great post! There’s not a tonne of content to take away from this post, just pointing out that if you are developing a new theme, you need only to upload that folder to make a switch.

If you have taken the time to read all of these posts, then you are a magnificent friend of mine, or you are super passionate about learning about performance and WordPress.

Future posts to expect from me will cover topics such as setting up W3 Total Cache to use Amazon S3 services, writing CSS on the fly with WordPress loops and hopefully how I upgraded my website from http to https.